The honours program in Romance Studies at UBC Vancouver offers an initiation to graduate work and to advanced academic writing and research.
Honours students participate in our research seminar and, under the guidance of a supervisor, write an extended research paper on an original topic. Honours students are particularly well qualified for professional research positions.
Admission to the honours program in Romance Studies is not automatic. Interested students with a cumulative average of at least a B+ should apply for the Romance Studies honours program, normally before the end of their second year.
Apply directly to the honours program using the online Advising Contact Form.
- RMST 221 (3) Literatures and Cultures of the Romance World I: Medieval to Early Modern
- RMST 222 (3) Literatures and Cultures of the Romance World II: Modern to Postmodern
12 credits from:
- 100– or 200-level courses in FREN, ITAL, LATN, PORT, or SPAN
12 credits, in at least two languages, from among:
- FREN 328 (3) Selected Works of African and Caribbean Literature
- FREN 329 (3) Selected Works of European French Literature
- FREN 330 (3) Selected Works of Québécois Literature
- ITAL 303 (3) Italian Literature and Culture of the Medieval and Early Modern Period
- ITAL 304 (3) Italian Literature and Culture of the Modern and Contemporary Age
- SPAN 357 (3) Survey of Peninsular Literature and Culture from the Origins to 1700
- SPAN 358 (3) Survey of Peninsular Literature and Culture from 1700 to the Present
- SPAN 364 (3) Survey of Spanish-American Literature and Culture to the 1820s
- SPAN 365 (3) Survey of Spanish-American Literature and Culture since the 1820s
33 credits, in at least two languages, of which at least 15 must be 400-level, from among courses labelled:
- FREN, ITAL, PORT, RMST, SPAN
3 credits from one of the following courses:
- FREN 499 (3) Honours Essay
- ITAL 499 (3) Honours Essay
- SPAN 499 (3) Honours Essay