Achieve your educational and career goals at a top Canadian university in one of the most livable cities in the world.
Rated North America’s most international university (Times Higher Education, 2018), our graduate students play an integral role in the intellectual community worldwide, producing a diverse range of scholarship pertaining to French, Francophone or Hispanic Studies. Our students have presented their work at conferences and published articles in a variety journals. Whatever your interests are, be part of our thriving community.
Explore our MA and PhD programs:
What are the unique benefits of our graduate programs?
Earn an income while completing your degree through relevant positions that allow you to gain unique skills, establish connections, and make an impact.
- Teaching Assistant — All qualified graduate students are guaranteed TA positions through our program. Benefit from TA Training Workshops on a variety of topics, led by award-winning faculty.
- Research Assistant — Provide valuable support to grant-funded research projects with established faculty members, taking a deep dive into rigorous intellectual inquiry.
- Learning Centre Coordinator — Play a key role in the success of the FHIS Learning Centre, a safe space where students can interact, get support, and develop their confidence in engaging with the languages, literatures and cultures of study.
Make your educational goals a reality with numerous financial aid options.
- $18,000/year for the first five years of Doctoral studies
- Multi-year funding packages
- Entrance scholarships
- Tuition awards
- Travel funding for presenting papers at conferences or conducting research abroad
- External funding opportunities
- Learn more
Stimulate your intellect, surround yourself with like-minded individuals, and contribute to the academic community worldwide.
- Dynamic curriculum and varied course offerings (view current French and Hispanic course offerings)
- Cutting-edge research (learn more)
- Esteemed faculty (learn more)
- Scholarly initiatives — opportunities to attend and lead research seminars, workshops, symposia, conferences, research clusters, reading groups, and joint events with interdisciplinary centers like the Liu Institute for Global Issues, the Peter Wall Institute for Advanced Studies, and Green College
- Cotutelle opportunities — graduate students in the French program have the option to work with two supervisors from different countries in their respective academic research institutions
Obtain qualifications that lead to a meaningful career. Our graduates have an excellent placement rate.
Our MA and PhD graduates have secured a variety of positions, including:
- Tenure-track professors (in Canada and abroad)
- Language instructors
- Primary or secondary school teachers
- Government officials
- Academics continuing their studies in top-rated universities
What are our graduate students up to?
- March 15: International students
- March 31: Canadian and US students
- June 15: International students
- July 31: Canadian and US students
Questions? Contact us:
Prof. Kim Beauchesne