UBC and SFU students of Italian Studies are invited to participate in a contest related to the theme of this year’s Week of the Italian Language in the World: “Italian Between Word and Image: Graffiti, Illustrations and Comic Books.”
Express what Italian language and culture mean to you in a creative way for a chance to win a free online course in Italian language!
All eligible contest entries may be featured in a digital gallery during the Week of the Italian Language in the World (October 19-25, 2020).
Contest entries must be original and royalty-free, and can come in the form of:
- Visual art (e.g. paintings, graffiti, street art, digital art, collages)
- Illustrated stories (e.g. comics, graphic novels)
- Words (e.g. visual poetry in Italian)
- Other forms of creative composition
All submitted entries must be accompanied by a brief description (in English or Italian) of the artwork and its intended message.
STEP 1: Register for the contest in advance.
- Deadline: September 25, 2020 at 11:59pm
- Registration form: https://ubc.ca1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_a5AnEvoApJ3f66h
STEP 2: Submit your contest entry file.
- Deadline: October 10, 2020 at 11:59pm
- Email contest entries to: email@example.com
- Maximum number of pages/boards: 8
- Accepted file formats:
- Visual art: .pdf, .jpeg, .png
- Illustrated stories/words: .pdf
- Videos: .mp4, YouTube URL, Vimeo URL
- File size must not exceed 20 MB.
- Every element of the artistic composition must be original and royalty-free.
- Participation must be individual (no group entries).
- The contest is only open to students who are taking/have taken Italian Language or Culture courses at the University of British Columbia or Simon Fraser University. Participants must be currently enrolled in a degree course.
First place: Voucher for an online Italian language course offered at the Dante Alighieri Society.
- Approximate value: $275
- Expiry date: June 2021
- Offered by: Dante Alighieri Society
Second place: Voucher for an online Italian conversation language course at an intermediate or advanced level at the Il Centro Italian Cultural Centre.
- Approximate value: $200
- Expiry date: June 2021
- Offered by: Il Centro Italian Cultural Centre
All eligible contest entries, regardless of placement, may be featured in a digital gallery during the Week of the Italian Language in the World.
- By participating in the contest, participants automatically give UBC and SFU the right to showcase their submissions in a digital gallery on either university's departmental websites for promotional purposes only. Participants retain intellectual property over their work.
All entries will be evaluated by a board of adjudicators representing both organizing institutions. The winning works will be announced during Italian Lecturer Day (Giornata del Lettore di Italiano) on October 22, 2020. The event will take place online and all sponsors, organizers and participants will be invited to participate.
For further information, contact:
- SFU students: Elena Caselli at firstname.lastname@example.org
- UBC students: Elena Zampieri at email@example.com
This event is organized by UBC’s Department of French, Hispanic and Italian Studies (FHIS) and SFU’s Department of World Languages and Literatures (WLL) under the auspices of the Consulate General of Italy in Vancouver, in collaboration with the Italian Chamber of Commerce in Canada West, the Dante Alighieri Society of B.C., and Il Centro – Italian Cultural Centre.