Our 200-level courses in French are not as numerous and specialized as our offerings at the 300- and 400-levels, but neither are they general, all-in-one introductions to the various aspects of the study of French at the university level, like FREN 122 and FREN 123. Each 200-level course or pair of courses has its own particular focus.
FREN 215 (6) Oral French Practice.
– is a full-year course in oral communication, both formal and colloquial. It is not required of students specializing in French, but may prove most useful to those intending to teach French or to make use of it in business or public service. It is not appropriate for graduates of high school French Immersion programs.
FREN 220 (3) Introduction to Early French Literature and to Textual Analysis.
FREN 221 (3) Introduction to Modern Literature written in French and to Textual Analysis.
These courses are prerequisites for the study of French literature at the 300-level and are required of all students specializing in French. Unlike in language, where each pair of courses forms a sequence, FREN 220 and FREN 221 may be taken in any order.
FREN 222 (3) and FREN 223 (3) French Language and Style.
– are courses in grammar and composition. They are the usual prerequisites for the study of French language and linguistics at the 300-level, and are normally required of students specializing in French (in either the Minor or the Major or the Honours program). However, see also FREN 224 and FREN 225 below.
FREN 224 (3) and FREN 225 (3) An Interdisciplinary Approach to French.
– are interdisciplinary courses intended to improve the oral and the written communication skills of ex-immersion students, who may enroll in them directly from High School without taking FREN 122 or FREN 123.
– FREN 224 and 225 are equivalent to FREN 222 and 223; they satisfy both the prerequisite for 300-level courses in French language and linguistics and the second-year language requirement for the Minor, Major and Honours programs.
– FREN 224 is not available for credit to anyone who has received credit for FREN 222 or FREN 342.
– FREN 225 is not available for credit to anyone who has received credit for FREN 223 or FREN 343.