Third-Year Italian II
ITAL 302 aims to enhance students’ competence in Italian and to strengthen their proficiency in both oral and written skills. We will work on authentic material in Italian, the language of instruction, using a communication-oriented approach. Contemporary culture, customs and current news will be the starting point to create interest, motivation and confidence in using the language more and more effectively in real situations. A section will be dedicated to Italian for specific purposes, an individual study of the vocabulary each student is more interested in for personal or academic interest.
The acquired competence in Italian will naturally lead to the further insights of ITAL 401 and 402.
- to develop the communicative abilities in Italian (advanced level/ CEFR B2-C1);
- to offer insights into the culture and daily life of Italy;
- to encourage positive attitudes to language learning and an appreciation of cultural differences.
At the end of ITAL 301 students will be able to:
- understand the main ideas of complex texts on both concrete and abstract topics, including technical discussions in his/her field of specialization.
- interact with a degree of fluency and spontaneity that makes regular interaction with native speakers quite possible without strain for either party.
- produce clear, detailed text on a wide range of subjects and explain a viewpoint on a topical issue giving the advantages and disadvantages of various options.
Prerequisite: ITAL 301 or permission of the department
Transfer students or students with experience in Italy should contact the undergraduate adviser for a language competence assessment.
Language of instruction: Italian